Struggling to find the option of setting your favorite downloaded songs as your ringtone? Want your iPhone to play the very best songs when you get a call? See the guide on how do you make a song your ringtone on iPhone?
Who doesn’t like to listen to their favorite music? Music is the driving force that can shell us from any hardships. Whether you are sad, happy, angry, or just plain old bored, there is a song for all of your moods. One thing every new Android to iPhone misses is to set their favorite music or song as their ringtone. In Android, you can just long-press on a song and click on the “Set as ringtone” button. Sadly, there was no way to do this before iOS 12 on iPhones and iPads.
iPhone ringtones are iconic! There is no doubt about that. You can identify that someone is using or has an iPhone just by listening to their ringtone. The iPhone ringtone ranked number 1 in the most popular ringtone charts. But sometimes you just want to play your favorite songs or custom audio as your ringtone. Whether it be a funny kid crying audio or a cat scratching on wall audio you can set it all in your iPhone. You can! Let us see how we can set your favorite music as your iPhone ringtone.
Don’t miss other iPhone tutorials:
- How to change screen timeout on iPhone
- How to delete apps on iPhone that are hidden
- And, how to make Facebook dark mode in iPhone in 1 min?
- 1 What is a ringtone?
- 2 How to change the ringtone of your iPhone?
- 3 How to set unique ringtones for specific contacts:
- 4 How do you make a song your ringtone on iPhone?
- 5 Conclusion:
- 6 FAQs:
What is a ringtone?
A ringtone is a sound your phone makes when you have an incoming call on your mobile device. You can set your favorite sounds and songs for ringtones. In iPhones, ringtones come with different options of either to pair them up with haptics like vibrations and light flashes when you get a call on your iPhone.
By Default, iPhones have the ringtone named “Opening”, which is played when you receive an incoming call. Keep in mind, that ringtones are different than caller tunes, they are not heard by the caller only by the person to whom the call is made. If a phone is in a silent mode only vibrations and other haptics can be felt, no ringtone will be heard. If you are not pleased with the default “Opening” ringtone of your iPhone, you can change your ringtone from the settings. Let us see the details of how you can change the ringtone of your iPhone.
How to change the ringtone of your iPhone?
Apple provides us with many pre-installed ringtones on the device. Our iPhones come equipped with a set of already loaded and ready ringtones, which can be set as per the user’s wishes. In iPhones, ringtones are named as Tones for short, which means that wherever you see the term Tones is used it is there to replace the ringtone’s nomenclature.
Change ringtone to another pre-loaded ringtone.
As by default, when you receive an incoming call on your iPhone the ringtone named “Opening” is played and is accompanied by haptics. If you wish to change this default ringtone to another ringtone that is provided by Apple, then don’t worry you can do that very easily. Let’s see how you can change the iPhone’s default ringtone to another provided ringtone:
- Go to the Home Screen of your iPhone and Open the Settings App.
- Swipe down to the “Sounds and Haptics” tab in the list of settings and open it.
- In the “Sounds and Vibration Patterns” section, select the tab called “Ringtone”.
- Under the “Ringtones” section, you will find a list of pre-loaded ringtones that are available for your iPhone. By Default, the “Opening” ringtone would be selected.
- Tap on any other ringtone to hear what the ringtone sounds like and select the one that you find the best. Some of the most popular ones used are Sencha, Circuit, and Stargaze.
This way you can easily change the ringtone to your liking and select from the many predefined ringtones that are given to you.
Change ringtone from iTunes Store.
If you are not satisfied with the set of preloaded ringtones that are provided by Apple, and you want a song or another ringtone for your iPhone. Then don’t worry, you have plenty of options to download from the iTunes Store. You can find your favorite songs from here and buy them to be set for your iPhone. There are some free tones too for you to choose from and select as your ringtone. Let us see how you can change your ringtone to a tone from the iTunes Tone Store:
- From the Home, find the Settings App and open it.
- Go to the “Sounds and Haptics” tab given in the list of settings.
- Find the “Sounds and Vibration Patterns” section and open the “Ringtone” tab in it.
- In the “Store” section, click and open the “Tone Store” tab.
- The iTunes Tone Store will be opened and you will be presented with several popular ringtones and songs.
- Tap on a song from the list and the song’s details will be opened.
- Click on the Song, to hear the 30-second ringtone and check it. If you like the song you can click on the price of the song written beside it to buy it.
- After you buy the song, you can set it as your default ringtone, text tone, or even assign the song to a specific contact of your liking. So that when you get those contacts call the song will be played.
By Following this you can very easily change the ringtone of your iPhone to your favorite song or tone from the iTunes Tone Store.
How to set unique ringtones for specific contacts:
Not all calls are equal as are some of the people you get them from. Maybe, you want to know when a specific person is calling you. They can be your family, friend, or loved ones. You might want to set special ringtones for them. Don’t you worry, you can do just that very easily? You can set a special ringtone for any contact which will only be played when that contact calls you. You can use this ringtone to identify their calls very easily. Let us see the steps of how you can set a unique ringtone for a specific contact:
- Get to the Contacts app from the home screen of your iPhone.
- Select the “Contacts” tab in the Quick access bar given in the app.
- Find the Contact you want to set a ringtone to by searching them in the search bar or by the A-Z slider given in the corner.
- Tap on the contact that you want to set a ringtone to and click on the edit button given above.
- Slide down to the ringtones option and click on it.
- You can change the ringtone and set the ringtone from the pre-existing ringtones or buy from the Tones store and set it from there.
- Click on the “Done” button to save the changes.
By doing this you can very easily set a unique ringtone for a specific contact on your iPhone.
How do you make a song your ringtone on iPhone?
This is where things get interesting. So, you don’t want to spend your money on buying songs from the iTunes Tone Store or any other place. If you just want to save your favorite songs and music as your iPhone device’s ringtone, then this is for you. You can very easily use this technique to convert your favorite songs or audio files to custom-made ringtones right on your iPhone. There are two best methods of doing this and they both work perfectly.
The first method is to use the iTunes app and convert the song or audio file that is downloaded on your device to a ringtone and transfer it to your device. This is a longer method and even requires a PC to perform. It is also a bit complicated to do.
The Second Method is by the use of a third-party app available in the app store called the GarageBand app. It is a very easy alternative to the iTunes app which also converts your song or audio file that is downloaded on your device into a ringtone and saves it to your device.
In this article, we will be showing to do this by the use of the GarageBand app as it is easier and can be performed without the use of a computer. It can be performed on the iPhone itself. We have decided the process to do so into two parts. Let us see the process of how do you make a song your ringtone on iPhone
Part 1: Download a song from Safari:
To covert a song or audio file we will have to download a song from the internet and save it on your iPhone. You need to use a browser like Safari or any other browser with download feature to do this step. Let us see how we can download a song from Safari:
- Open Safari from the home screen.
- Search the name of your song and find a suitable website with the downloadable link.
- Click on Download and a small arrow will appear in the search bar.
- Tap on the small arrow, to find the list of downloads.
- Tap on the downloaded song, and press the share button given below.
- Select the “Save to Files” option and save it on your iPhone.
With this, you will have successfully saved the downloaded song on your iPhone. This song will be converted to a ringtone file and saved in your iPhone using the GarageBand App.
Part 2: Using the GarageBand app to make the ringtone:
Now that you have downloaded the song you will need to convert the audio file into a ringtone file, to do so we will need the GarageBand file. Go to your App store and download the GarageBand app and then follow the steps that are given below
- Open the GarageBand app from your home screen.
- If you are opening it for the first time hit continue until you reach the “GarageBand Recents” page.
- Click on the “microphone with a plus” option given at the top right-hand side of the app.
- The Dashboard will open, here you can edit the audio file according to your liking.
- In the Dashboard, click on the view button (brick wall icon). It will open the editing section.
- Click on the Omega button (loop icon) to add a new song. From the Apple loops and Files, select the files tab.
- Click on the “Browse items from the Files app” button.
- Go to the location of your downloaded song file and select it.
- Drag and drop the file to the Dashboard to edit it.
- Make changes to the song to make it into a suitable ringtone, for example cutting it or setting the time limits.
- Click on the arrow button given on the left-most side of the app and save your audio file to my songs.
- Long press on my songs and click on the share button.
- You will find three options to share the file, select the middle one with the word “Ringtone” written on it.
- Now you can save it and rename it as a ringtone.
- Go to the Ringtones option in setting and select your custom ringtone.
Finally, we covered how do you make a song your ringtone on iPhone.
I hope with this you can be able to set your favorite songs and enjoy them as your ringtone. You can check out the FAQs given below to satisfy more of your burning questions.
A.01) A ringtone can be of 30 secs or less. iPhone will automatically set a ringtone to this attribute.
A.02) Yes, your ringtones will work the same for all third-party apps. If someone calls you on WhatsApp you will hear your set ringtone.