In this fast-paced work lifestyle, we tend to bring our work outside. Most often we find work to be done on the go. If you are one of them then you should already be knowing how glaring the sun can be. You must most often find your screen to reflect sunlight at an off-angle. You most probably increase your iPhone’s brightness to counter this. Maybe you are reading an article. Maybe you are playing your game. You may find that your iPhone’s brightness is lower automatically. You must be wondering why this happens and how to stop iPhone from dimming.
Want to know why does your iPhone screen is lowering its brightness automatically? Why do after you increase your brightness the iPhone still dim? When you are reading a book the brightness of your iPhone is constantly decreasing? When you go to the sun your iPhone starts dimming? Click here to find out the complete guide on how you can stop your iPhone from dimming.
Auto-brightness is often told to be the cause of this condition. It is common knowledge that your iPhone’s brightness cannot be lowered automatically without the presence of an Auto-brightness feature. But where does this auto brightness exist? How and why is it there in the first place? What are the other things that are causing your iPhone to go dimmer while you are reading or doing any other activity? In this article, we will inform you about all that and more. You will get a detailed description of why your iPhone’s screen keeps on dimming and how can you put an end to it. Excited? Let us see the details.
- 1 What is Auto-Brightness and why does it exist?
- 2 How to disable your Auto brightness in your iPhone?
- 3 Why my iPhone is still diming after Auto brightness is turned off?
- 4 Reason 1: Dimming of the screen because of true tone
- 5 Reason 2: Dimming of the screen because of Night Shift
- 6 Reason 3: Your low power mode is on
- 7 Conclusion:
- 8 FAQ
What is Auto-Brightness and why does it exist?
Auto brightness is a feature first introduced in android devices and then copied in iOS because of its usefulness. Auto brightness tends to make your screen brightness adjustments according to the surroundings of your iPhone. If there is a lot of light in the room or if you are out on a sunny day. The light receptors on your iPhone will catch this and adjust your screen’s brightness level according to it. This may be annoying to you, as when you stay in a shadow area or place with less light, it will turn back dimmer and become brighter almost immediately under the presence of some light. This can be problematic if you are reading articles or typing.
Like it or not, Auto-brightness has its advantages. The most notable one is that it preserves battery life. If your auto-brightness is activated on your iPhone device, then you will find that the battery of your iPhone is saved significantly. Because the screen takes a lot of power from the iPhone. If your screen is not as accustomed to the power levels of the auto-brightness, once stopped you’ll see a significant drop in your battery life.
Another good point that makes your iPhone’s screen be saved by auto-brightness is that it also lets you have the brightness level modified according to your vision. This may be good for your eyes. If you are someone who likes to keep your brightness at max all the time, this feature will help keep your ocular vision in check. We will learn next how to stop iPhone from dimming.
How to disable your Auto brightness in your iPhone?
Auto brightness is by default active when you set up your device a new one. If you don’t like the features or don’t like how it functions then you are free to disable them. Apple does not force auto-brightness on its users. If you want to disable auto-brightness then you are free to do so. Let us see the steps of how you can disable auto-brightness from your iPhone.
- Go to the settings app of your iPhone from the home screen.
- Scroll down until you find the tab named “Accessibility” and press on it. If you are having difficulty finding the tab then you can find it from the search bar given at the top of the setting app. Just search “Accessibility” in there and click on it.
- In the Accessibility menu, you will find a list of options. Swipe down until the very end and you will find a toggle named Auto brightness. Turn that toggle off.
- After your Auto brightness is off, your brightness will not shift or change. To change it you will have to open your control center. So, open the control center.
- Inside the control center, you will find the sun-shaped slider. Slide your finger up on the slider if you want to increase your brightness. Slide your finger down to decrease your brightness to your liking.
- Adjust the brightness of your iPhone, until you find the best for yourself.
This should make your auto-brightness be turned off from your iPhone. Remember that this will adversely affect your battery and life and will make you lose a lot of battery health compared to before when it was on. You could partially activate this when you go out for some work or make it when you are using your iPhone freely. Remember that after this you will have to change your brightness yourself always.
So, keep your brightness according to your conditions and solve the issue of how to stop iPhone from dimming.
Why my iPhone is still diming after Auto brightness is turned off?
So, you have turned off the auto-brightness feature of your iPhone. But you are still finding the same problem of your screen getting dimmer and dimmer. Then what should you do? Why is this happening? Well, there are several other features in your iPhone that may be responsible for this.
Auto brightness is the one that generally makes these changes but there is a list of more reasons for which this may happen on your iPhone. Don’t worry, we will give you the fix for all of them and tell you all the reasons for which they might happen on your iPhone. So, let us see how to stop the iPhone from dimming even after auto-brightness is turned off:
Reason 1: Dimming of the screen because of true tone
The true tone is a feature in the newer generation of iPhones (iPhone 8 or above), that allows your screen to lower your luminosity, intensity, and color to better support your surrounding conditions. This property may be useful for you if you like using features like brightness regulators or if you are an avid reader. If you use apps like Amazon’s Kindle or read any other articles or pdfs then this characteristic is for you.
The true tone is a quality that reduces the strain on your eyes by reducing the “Blue light” that is emitted by the iPhone’s digital screen. Although it is present to take care of your eye’s health. It can sometimes be annoying and not always work properly. So, if you are annoyed by it and don’t want it to disturb or fluctuate the brightness of your screen, then you can turn it off very easily. Let us see how you can turn the true tone off from your iPhone:
- Open the Control Center from the home screen of your iPhone. Swipe up from the bottom up if you have a Touch ID supporting iPhone or swipe from the above right corner if you have a Face ID supporting iPhone to open it.
- Find the sun shaped brightness slider and long press on it
- You will find that there is a button with “True tone” written on it in blue. Click on it and disable true tone.
- Open the Settings app from the home screen of your iPhone.
- Swipe down below in the Settings menu until you find the tab named “Display and Brightness” and click on it. You can also find the tab by using the search bar given at the top of the settings menu. Inside the search bar type the name “Display and Brightness” and click on it.
- Inside the Display and Brightness menu, you will find a toggle named “True tone”. By default, the true tone is always active when you set up a new device. Turn that toggle off.
- After the true tone is off. You can turn it on after some time from here if you like to use it again. Just turn the toggle on again.
Both these methods will help you to successfully remove true tone by shutting it down from your device. You can use these methods If you are annoyed by the true tone and the constant dimming of your iPhone. Both these versions work for all versions of iOS.
Reason 2: Dimming of the screen because of Night Shift
Night shift is another feature in iOS that is kept to help you preserve your eye’s health. If you are someone who uses their iPhones late and night and in a dark room, then this feature is for you. You can use Night Shift as it changes the color of your screen and reduces the strain on your eyes by dimming the iPhone’s screen. If you find it not useful and annoying, then you can turn it off. Night shift is not forced upon the user and can be turned off for the iPhone very easily. Let us see the steps of how you can turn the Night Shift off for your iPhone:
- From the home screen of your, iPhone opens your Control Center. Scroll up from the bottom of the screen if you have a Touch ID supporting iPhone or scroll down from the above right corner if you have a Face ID supporting iPhone to open it.
- long press on the sun-shaped brightness slider.
- A pop-up screen will appear and you will find that there is a button with “Night Shift” present that is activated. Press on it and disable true tone.
- Find the Settings app from the home screen of your iPhone and open it.
- Inside the Settings menu go down until you find the tab named “Display and Brightness” and open it.
- In the menu of Display and Brightness, you will find a tab named “Night Shift”.
- Click on it and the Nightshift menu will be opened. Inside you can do a bunch of settings like Schedule it until tomorrow or permanently turn it off.
With this, your Night shift will permanently be disabled and you will not be disturbed by it. Although it would be wiser to just enable a schedule for the night shift. So, it only turns itself on only at night but this is up to you to decide.
Reason 3: Your low power mode is on
This could be why your iPhone is automatically turning dark and not having enough charge. The low power mode is automatically activated when your iPhone is below 20 percent of battery health to preserve battery. If you don’t want your iPhone to automatically be switched off then you can turn this feature off. You can turn it off by simply turning its button off in the control center.
I hope you can understand why your iPhone’s screen gets dimmer while using it and how you can tackle it by turning them off from the settings. I hope this article has solved all your confusion related to the problem of how to stop the iPhone from dimming.
You can also check out the Frequently asked questions (FAQs) given below to gain some extra insight on the topic.
Yes, you can. This will allow you to shut down the night shift in the daytime and only be active when it’s night.
Normally, this does not happen. But if you are facing this issue then you can restart your iPhone and check again.